Sungubala Eco Camp is situated in the Northern Drakensberg off the R74, between Harrismith and Bergville.
Please note that you need a vehicle with good clearance to reach the camp. We have upgraded most of this dirt track with concrete strips. Most sedans can make it but luxury cars and vehicles with low profile tires are not suitable.
GPS co-ordinates: 28.623687 S,28.964914 E
- Take the N3 toward Durban
- Head southeast on N3
- Travel 257 km
- At Harrismith take the N5 exit towards Bethlehem
- Travel 4,8 km
- Turn left onto R74 Towards Qwa-Qwa
- Travel 8,6 km
- Turn left to stay on R74 towards Bergville
- Travel 35,9 km down the Oliviershoek Pass
- Turn right towards Northern Drakensberg
- Travel 7,3 km
- Turn Right towards The Cavern
- Travel 9.7km
- Turn Right and travel 1.7km to the Camp
- Head west on N3 toward Johannesburg
- Travel 183 km
- Take exit 194 for R74 toward R103 Bergville
- Turn left onto R74 toward Bergville
- Travel 71,7 km (30km beyond Bergville)
- Turn left towards Northern Drakensberg
- Travel 7,3 km
- Turn right towards The Cavern
- Travel 9,7 km
- Turn right
- Travel 1,7 km
Oliviershoek Pass – R74 – Road Hazards
The Pass is closed to large trucks but open for light motor vehicles.
Please Note The Following Challenges:
Travelling South: Towards Northern Berg Resorts, Bergville, Durban
- From Harrismith on the R74 past Sterkfontein Dam… 5 km past the entrance to Sterkfontein Dam Resort, slow down to < 20kmph uneven road surface and serious road subsidence for approx 50 m in the right hand lane
- potholes for the next 5 kms
- 400m past Little Switzerland Hotel. Slow down to < 20 kmph uneven road surface for approx 50 m
- 4 km past this obstruction there is a major sink hole in the left lane necessitating a single lane of traffic. Watch for oncoming traffic as you negotiate this hazard.
- Beyond The Cavern Turn, on the way to Bergville, 1 km past the big Natalheim shed,… slow down to < 20 kmph uneven road surface for approx 50 m.
Travelling North: towards Northern Berg Resorts, Harrismith, Gauteng
- When travelling from Bergville, 2.8km past the 1st Drakensville ATKV sign, Slow down to < 20 kmph uneven road surface and serious road subsidence for approx 50m in the both lanes
- When travelling up the Oliviershoek Pass, 3 km from the crossroad intersection to RNNP & The Cavern, there is a major sink hole in the right lane necessitating a single lane of traffic. Watch for oncoming traffic as you negotiate this hazard.
- 4.5km past the sinkhole, slow down to < 20 kmph serious road subsidence & uneven road surface for approx 50m
- 400m past the first sterkfontein dam view site… slow down to < 20 kmph uneven road surface and serious road subsidence for approx 50m in the left lane
Safe travels and we look forward to seeing you soon.